The BG Leadership Council elections is fast-approaching. After the nominations, there are now three seats available on the council. The BG Leadership Council consists of 10 volunteer members who serve a 2-year-term, supported by the SCA staff. There are three open seats in the 2022 election, and members elected to serve the council this cycle will serve a term from February 2023 to January 2025.
Who is Renato Sumania and Why Should You Vote for Him?
Renato “Rey” Sumania is known as the Father of All Baristas in the Southern Philippines. He’s also the Founder of the Mindanao Specialty Barista Council and Filipino Bar Professionals and Innovators Association since 2003. In addition, Rey is also the TESDA Idol of 2018 in the Philippines. TESDA stands for “Technical Education and Skill Development Authority).
Rey Sumania was born on April 27, 1971 in Tubod, Surigao Del Norte. He is currently 51 years old and lives in Carmen, Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines. He took up Bachelor of Science Major in Hotel and Restaurant Management at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines and Distance Learning Program in Sta. Mesa Manila in 1998-2003.
Experience, Trainings, and Current Positions
What has Rey Sumania accomplished and what trainings did he attend?
Hospitality Industry Experience
- 1994-1996 Bartender Pyramid Jazz Club – Cagayan de Oro City
- 1997-2003 Restaurant Supervisor – Key Coffee – Ortigas Center Manila
- 2003-2012 Branch Manager Equilibrium Intertrade Corporation Cagayan de Oro City
- 2012-2016 Global Training Specialist – R. Torre Company San Jose California USA
- 2003-present Training Director / School President Jamaican F&B Training and Assessment Center
- 2012 – Advance Coffee Roasting class – Bangkok Thailand
- 2013 – Wine appreciation – FHA wine pairing course – Singapore
- 2015 – Herbs and Spices familiarization & Formulation New Delhi India
- 2015 – Cocktail mixing course – Bourbon and Branch – California USA
- 2015 – 6 Courses Wine Pairing seminar – Napa Valley California USA
- 2016 – Dilmah School of Tea – Colombo, Sri Lanka
Local and International Trainings Conducted:
- 27 Colleges and Universities in Mindanao
- Boncafe Chain of Coffee Shops – Bangkok Thailand 2012 / 2015
- Trung Nguyen Coffee Company – Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam – 2015
- AAHAR Trade show – New Delhi India – 2016
- FHA Asia Trade Show – Singapore 2013 / 2015 / 2017
- Conducts FREE industry engagement to several out-of-school youths for Work-based Learning in Barista job at his Pop-up café in Limketkai Center Cagayan de Oro City.
- Conducts FREE industry engagement to several out-of-school youths for Work-based Learning in Bartending job at his Mobile bar in Cagayan de Oro City.
- Conducts FREE industry engagement to several out-of-school youths for Be Your Own Boss activity in a Barista job at his Pop-up café in Limketkai Center Cagayan de Oro City.
- Conducts FREE industry engagements to several out-of-school youths for Be Your Own Boss activity in Bartending job at his Mobile bar in Cagayan de Oro City.
- Mindanao Masters – Organizer – Yearly competitions for Bartending and Barista – 2010 up to present
- Mindanao Barista Rockstar competition – Organizer – 2019 up to present
- OROBest expo bartending and Barista competition – Organizer – ORO Chambers
- Owner / Training Director – Jamaican F&B Training Center / TESDA registered school
- Consultant – Equilibrium Intertrade Corporation – CDO Branch
- Founder / Chairman –Filipino Bar Professionals and Innovators Association
- Founder – Mindanao Specialty Barista Community
- Chairman – Bar Competitions – KUMBIRA Events – Cagayan de Oro Hotel & Restaurant Association (COHARA)
- Assessor – Technical Education Skills Development Authority (TESDA)
- Global Training Specialist –R. Torre Company for Asia Pacific Region (Singapore, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Sri Lanka and India)
- High Tea Master – batch of 2016 at Dilmah School of Tea Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Tesda IDOL 2018 – Technical Education Skills Development Authority – Region 10
- 2022 DOT Awardee – Department of Tourism Recognition award for Speaker / Facilitator in Tourism training and seminars
You should vote for Renato Sumania in the BG Leadership Council elections because he’s been in the coffee industry for more than 20 years. With his impressive credentials and flawless track record, there’s nothing left to prove why he deserves a seat in the council. He’s also the only candidate in Asia which makes him all the more unique.
How to Vote?
To cast your vote, just visit this website: https://sca.coffee/. Only Barista Guild members with a current valid SCA membership are eligible to participate in this process. Both Individual Barista Members and Company Individual Members (individuals whose membership is connected to their company membership) designated as Individual Baristas may participate in this election.